About Those GMRS / FRS
True Effective Communication Range
If you buy a pair of GMRS/FRS walkie-talkies, don't complain about the lack of communication range. The talking range is all determined by certain factors. GMRS/FRS walkie-talkies operate on UHF frequency around 462 or 467 MHz, and UHF frequency transmitting range is limited to the line of sight due to it's short wavelength. Height of the transmitting antenna of the walkie-talkie, and receiving antenna that is free from obstruction increases the range of the GMRS/FRS walkie-talkies:
The GMRS/FRS walkie-talkie effective range will increase:
(1) If you are on top of the highest hill or mountain with an unobstructed view of the distant area of the location of your communicating partner..
(2) If you're upon the upper floors of a tall building near the window, or on the balcony with an unobstructed view of the distant area of the location of your communicating partner.
(3) If you have high height above the ground to the point that you can see over the horizon.
The GMRS/FRS walkie-talkie
effective range will decrease:
(2) If you're deep down in a valley.
(3) If you're in a tunnel, or in a basement, or under a bridge or a overpass, or underground.
(4) If you have a hill or a mountain sitting between you and your communicating partner.
(5) If you have thick woods between you and your communicating partner.
(6) If you have low height above the ground to the point that you can not see over the horizon.
Even cell phones looses it's service when it's under those factors above, and cell phones operate on the UHF frequency.
The higher you are, and free from obstruction, the longer your communication range.
To calculate the line of sight communication range, and height of your GMRS / FRS walkie-talkie's transmitting antenna by using these formulas:
In the Metric System
To calculate the line of sight communication range, and height of the transmitter antenna, and the receiving antenna of the walkie-talkies by using these formulas:
In the Metric System
So if you stand 6 foot tall, and and your walkie-talkie is 5 feet 6 inches above the ground, and your communication partner stands 5 foot 6 inches tall, and his or her walkie-talkies is 5 feet above the ground, and both of you are on flat terrain, and free from obstructions, your talking range would be 6.47 miles with those GMRS / FRS walkie-talkies in the line of site communication range.
6.47 miles = square root (2 x 5.5 feet) + square root (2 x 5 feet)
If you are standing on your balcony at you high rise apartment at 28 floors above the ground or 336 feet above the ground with your GMRS /FRS walkie-talkie, your line of sight talking range would be 25.9 miles.
25.9 miles = square root (2 x 336 feet)
By you entering the
you must agree to the terms: Click here
ęCopyright 2019 Myownelectronictrix.com